Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Sunchoke Soup

So, I only have a snippet of time before I'm off to a cardio intervals class. We're both hurtin' a lot today, but still getting by (so far).

Yesterday at lunch we had sunchoke soup. It was really tasty (as everything has been so far. I feel like a regular epicurean.) Anyway, I asked one of the servers what a sunchoke is. He said he wasn't sure, but he'd check with the chef. The answer he brought back is that a sunchoke is closely related to artichokes, and it comes from the Jerusalem area.

Last night I was all jet lagged and awake at 2:30 a.m. so I looked up sunchokes online to see a picture of them. What I learned is that they are neither related to artichokes, nor from Jerusalem. They are in the daisy family (you eat the root) and are native to North America. To the chef's credit - the name sunchoke is rather new. They used to be called Jerusalem artichokes. Why the new name? I'll leave you to wonder on that one. I have to put my trainers back on now and head out.

Denice (daughter)

1 comment:

  1. I am loving your posts! What an amazing experience you are having. I can't wait to see pictures of the places you go!

    And of course you looked it up.

    ReplyDelete